Career Opportunity: Advocate/FASD Family Advisory Council Coordinator (Edmonton)
Inclusion Alberta, as a family advocacy organization, is committed to fostering family leadership and providing individuals with developmental disabilities and their families with personalized advocacy that contributes to a meaningful and inclusive life.
Similarly, families and individuals with developmental disabilities, including those with complex needs, require assistance in planning and securing an inclusive life. Some of the means to an inclusive life includes being able to maximally benefit from individualized funding and other funding and supports as needed to be engaged as a participatory and valued community member.
This full-time position will be responsible, under the direction of the Provincial Director of Advocacy and Community Engagement, to:
1) support the work of the Alberta Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) Family Advisory Council and it members to foster family leadership, and
2) provide individual advocacy to individuals with developmental disabilities and their families in the pursuit of a fully inclusive life in community.
- Provincial Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) Family Advisory Council
- Work directly with Council Members and their families to ensure they have the capacity to participate in the activities of the Council
- Ensure Council Members have the materials and resources they require to effectively participate on the Council
- Support the business of the Council by ensuring agendas, minutes, reports and actions requiring follow-up are in place and completed Advocate:
- Work directly with individuals with developmental disabilities and their families to think about, plan for and realize inclusive community lives
- Serve as a resource and guide to families and individuals with developmental disabilities in their pursuit of supports and services that enable inclusion
- Develop and support the networking of families who are committed to pursuing inclusion
- Advocate with and for families and individuals in their efforts to nurture and develop inclusive communities
- Coordinate individual and family advocacy and community engagement with all other Inclusion Alberta initiatives
Qualified candidates will have:
- a university degree in a related discipline or equivalent experience
- deep understanding of FASD, inclusion, and community capacity development
- ability to facilitate collaboration across multiple community and government stakeholders
- demonstrated values based training and track record reflective of a commitment to inclusion
- ability to conduct research and evaluation under the direction of a senior researcher
- excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- ability to manage competing priorities
- competent writing ability
This position is located in Edmonton. Candidates will require a vehicle and the capacity to travel within Alberta when needed. This is a full-time position, with salary commensurate with experience. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Competition closes when suitable candidate is found.
Please forward your resume with a cover letter to:
Billie Jack, Provincial Director of Advocacy and Community Engagement