Announcing our list for the top FASD articles of 2020! Every January CanFASD does a literature search for research that was published within the previous year. This year the search revealed over 400 articles published on FASD in 2020.
Our final list was selected by a group of CanFASD staff, researchers, and members of the Family Advisory Committee. It was difficult to narrow down a list of over 400 excellent publications to just 30. The articles we’ve chosen reflect CanFASD’s areas of emphasis for FASD research: assessment and diagnosis; intervention; mental health; prevention; child welfare; justice; and family collaboration.
Assessment, Diagnosis, and Clinical Presentation
- Characterizing adverse childhood experiences among children and adolescents with prenatal alcohol exposure and Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder
- Ten years of evidence for the diagnostic assessment of preschoolers with prenatal alcohol exposure (open-access)
- Difficulties in daily living experienced by adolescents, transition-aged youth, and adults with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (open-access)
- Treatment algorithm for the use of psychopharmacological agents in individuals prenatally exposed to alcohol and/or with diagnosis of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) (open-access)
- Connecting people with people: Diagnosing persons with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder using telehealth
- A systematic review of interventions to improve mental health and substance use outcomes for individuals with prenatal alcohol exposure and Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (open-access)
- Outcomes and needs of health and education professionals following Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder-specific training
- Dog-assisted therapy for children and adolescents with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders a randomized controlled pilot study (open-access)
- Developmental cascades to children’s conduct problems: The role of prenatal substance use, socioeconomic adversity, maternal depression and sensitivity, and children’s conscience (open-access)
- The association between prenatal alcohol consumption and preschool child stress system disturbance (open-access)
Prevention and Maternal Health
- Prevention of alcohol-exposed pregnancies and Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder among pregnant and postpartum women: A systematic review
- ‘We do what we can as soon as we can’ alcohol and other drug workforce perspectives on preventing and responding to prenatal alcohol exposure (open-access)
- Multi-service prevention programs for pregnant and parenting women with substance use and multiple vulnerabilities: Program structure and clients’ perspectives on wraparound programming (open-access)
- Comparing outcomes of children and youth with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) in the child welfare system to those in other living situations in Canada: Results from the Canadian National FASD Database
- Identifying Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder and psychiatric comorbidity for children and youth in care: A community approach to diagnosis and treatment
- Caregivers of children with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: Psychosocial factors and evidence for self-compassion as a potential intervention target
- Self-care in caregivers of children with FASD: How do caregivers care for themselves, and what are the benefits and obstacles for doing so?
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder and neurodevelopmental disorders: An international practice survey of forensic mental health clinicians
- Neurocognitive function and Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder in offenders with mental Disorders (open-access)
- Understanding the social stigma of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders: From theory to interventions (open-access)
- Different brain profiles in children with prenatal alcohol exposure with or without early adverse exposures (open-access)
Thank you for compiling this list!