September 9th is FASD Day, a global initiative dedicated to raising awareness about Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) and the harmful effects of prenatal alcohol exposure. On this special day, we invite all Albertans to join the Red Shoes Rock campaign and make a difference in the lives of individuals and families affected by FASD.
What is FASD? Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder is a lifelong condition caused by prenatal exposure to alcohol. It can result in a range of physical, cognitive, and behavioral challenges that vary from person to person. By increasing awareness and understanding, we can create a more inclusive and supportive community for individuals with FASD.
The Red Shoes Rock campaign is a grassroots movement that has gained international recognition for its powerful symbol of strength and unity. By wearing red shoes, or incorporating red into your outfit, you can show your support and raise awareness for FASD on this special day. But it doesn’t stop there! You can also share your photos and stories on social media using the hashtag #RedShoesRock, amplifying the message and inspiring others to join the cause.
Albertans, let’s come together and take action! Here are some ways you can get involved:
- Wear Red Shoes: Put on your favorite red shoes, or if you don’t have any, get creative by adding red elements to your outfit. Show your support and spark conversations about FASD throughout the day.
- Share Your Support: Take a photo of your red shoes or your red-themed outfit and post it on social media. Use the hashtag #RedShoesRock to join the global movement and let your friends and followers know that you stand with FASD awareness.
- Spread the Word: Share information about FASD, the harms of prenatal alcohol exposure, and the importance of alcohol-free pregnancies. Educate your family, friends, and colleagues about the risks and support available for individuals and families affected by FASD.
- Volunteer and Support: Reach out to local FASD organizations, such as the Edmonton Fetal Alcohol Network, to offer your time, skills, or resources. Your involvement can make a meaningful difference in the lives of those affected by FASD.
- Learn and Advocate: Stay informed about FASD and the latest research, policies, and initiatives. Advocate for inclusive policies in schools, workplaces, and communities to ensure individuals with FASD receive the support they need to thrive.
Let’s make FASD Day 2023 a memorable one. Together, we can raise awareness, promote prevention, and support individuals and families affected by FASD. Join the Red Shoes Rock campaign and show the world that Albertans care about the well-being of our community.
Remember, every step counts. Wear your red shoes, share your support, and be part of the movement that’s making a difference. Together, we can create a future where FASD is better understood, prevented, and supported.
For more information about the Red Shoes Rock campaign, visit www.redshoesrock.com