Are you looking for a career that can make a difference in the lives of people in need? Put your passion for working with families within our community towards a rewarding opportunity with Catholic Social Services as a Community Outreach Worker.
We are seeking one (1), contract, full time, forty (40) hours a week Community Outreach worker to join our dynamic and talented team! This position has a weekly schedule of Monday – Friday with flexibility for evenings.
This contract goes until March 31, 2023.
You will be joining an established Agency that is guided by faith to care for and bring hope to people in need with humility, compassion and respect. With more than 50 years of service delivery, Catholic Social Services is one of the largest multi-function social services agencies in Canada, with more than 1800 staff, and 2000 volunteers delivering 130+ programs throughout Central and Northern Alberta.
“As a Catholic social services agency, we are guided by faith to care for and bring hope to people in need with humility, compassion and respect.”
Our values are at the core of everything we do!
- Humility: We acknowledge with gratitude our human abilities and limitations. We demonstrate humility by doing the best that we can with the resources that we have.
- Compassion: Werespond to people in need with love. We demonstrate our compassion by caring for people without judgment and without condition.
- Respect: We demonstrate our respect by being personally present, open and attentive to those we care for and by honouring their dignity and freedom.
About the Role:
As a Community Outreach Worker, you work in a team setting to provide mentoring and support to caregivers raising children affected by Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder in the Edmonton area. Using your knowledge of FASD and ability to assess families’ needs as well as your awareness of community programs, you link families to the resources they need to be successful. Mentors also assist families to access tools and strategies, access services for diagnosis where required and/or appropriate, and assist families in the adjustment in living with children affected by FASD, in order to decrease the risk of secondary disabilities.
As a Community Outreach Worker, you will be responsible for assessing the needs of the clients to address challenges, access resources, develop life and social skills and ensure the clients have an ongoing network of support while providing emotional and practical support to foster independence. Other responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assessing the needs of the client, determining suitability of services and identifying objective goals and developmental plans with the client
- Helping clients in gaining an understanding of issues and establish access to other community resources
- Assisting the family in building social and other support networks and to help the networks to understand the child’s disability
- Assist the family in making environmental changes to address the sensory needs of the children
- Providing consistent teaching and support to the family to better understand the unique needs of the child with FASD and to modify the parenting strategies to meet these needs
- Submitting required program documentation within established timeframes
- Ensuring property is maintained at an optimal level of cleanliness and tidiness
- Attending all team meetings, case consultations, and service reviews
- Facilitate monthly parent support groups
- Other duties as required
Education and Qualifications:
- A Diploma/Degree in Human Services (or equivalent)
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience working with families
- Experience with children and family programming, in home support and case management is a requirement of this position
- Knowledge of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder
- Certification or training in Aboriginal Awareness, Abuse Awareness, Standard First Aid, and Violence/Crisis Intervention is a definite asset
The ideal candidate will have an organized and compassionate approach to the work, strong team work skills, a commitment to developing positive supportive relationships, and experience supporting individuals and families. Other qualifications include:
- A reliable Vehicle, Valid Driver’s License
- Police Information Check including vulnerable sector search, Intervention Record Check must be current within six (6) months
Security clearance checks are conditions of employment and the financial responsibility of the candidate.
What We Offer:
- The salary for this position is $21.57 to $24.28 per hour based on qualifications and experience. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, flexibility and supportive working environment.
- Flexible benefit options when eligible.
- Work within a highly collaborative, team-oriented organization, where your ideas are heard, and you can see your impact daily.
- Growth Opportunities: Apply and grow your skills within a dynamic, innovative and expanding Agency that is taking a leadership role in our industry.
Please apply online at www.cssalberta.ca/careers to competition number 2693.
As a Catholic social services agency we are guided by faith to care for and bring hope to people in need with humility, compassion and respect. We embrace diversity and offer equal opportunities to all qualified applicants regardless of origin, culture, ethnicity, age, ability, gender identity and people of faith or no faith.
We thank all applicants. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.