CanFASD staff have recently put together a document for Caregivers of individuals with FASD, titled ‘How to Explain an FASD Diagnosis to your Child’. This resource is intended to help guide you in explaining FASD to your child with FASD, along with:
- What it means to be diagnosed with FASD
- How your child might react to the diagnosis
- Tips on how to explain FASD to your child
- Focusing on their strengths
- How to alleviate blame and anger toward the birthmother (or how to approach the conversation if you are the birthmother)
- Links to helpful resources such as storybooks, to help you explain FASD
To read the full resource, visit the ‘Caregivers’ section of the CanFASD website.